LEED for Homes Furnace Filter Requirements
The LEED Rating System is made up of a combination of Pre-Requisites (mandatory minimum requirements for LEED Certification) and Points, which are above and beyond minimum requirements and determine whether a project is LEED Certified, Silver, Gold or Platinum. One of the pre-requisites is for superior furnace filters that have a minimum MERV 8 rating. So why is a MERV 8 filter considered to be a finer choice than the standard filter? Here are few reasons...
- MERV 8 AC and Furnace Filters are over 30-times more efficient at capturing micro particles than ordinary fiberglass filters
- MERV 8 pleated AC and Furnace filters utilize 100% synthetic media which offers significantly higher particulate efficiency than regular poly/cotton media pleated filters, with little change in static pressure.
- These filters capture airborne particles/allergens between 3-10 microns in size, such as particles that carry viruses and bacteria, pollen, dust mites, mold spores, fine dust and pet dander.
- MERV 8 filter media is naturally antibacterial and inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew, or fungi in normal operating environments, without being chemically treated.
- MERV 8 pleated filters use permanently charged electrostatic material that helps dust cling to the air conditioner furnace filter.
- Finally, these filters last up to 3 months, meaning One 6-pack typically provides over a year's supply of cleaner air.